It has been our goal from the word “go” to create and sustain a 100% volunteer non-profit organization and we are proud to say we’ve done just that. The Family Cancer Network exists with the primary focus on providing grants DIRECTLY to Iowa patients and their families who are battling blood and/or pediatric cancer. To date, we have been able to donate tens of thousands of dollars directly to families in need, and with your support we can continue this effort.
Collateral Damage of Blood or Pediatric Cancer Treatment
- While there are some tremendous resources for information and treatment of blood and pediatric cancers, including organizations whose primary goal is research and development, we noticed huge gap when it came to helping Iowa families with the financial burden these diagnoses carry.
- As if getting the horrific news that you or your loved one has been diagnosed with blood or pediatric cancer wasn’t bad enough, imagine the additional financial questions that must also be addressed:
- What happens when I run out of paid time-off from my job because I need to be away from work to seek treatment for myself or a loved one?
- What if I don’t have a reliable mode of transportation to get myself or my family member to treatments?
- What will I do to cover the additional gas and lodging costs associated with treatments occurring in a different city or state?
- How do I choose between paying rent or the mortgage, buying groceries, or getting treatment?
- As we all know, life (and all the bills) do not stop even though there has been a costly diagnosis. THIS is the COLLATERAL DAMAGE of blood or pediatric cancer treatment. THIS is why we exist: for Iowa families who do not have the financial wherewithal to sustain their expenses, Family Cancer Network steps in to provide these families with direct financial assistance.
Background & Vision
In 2015, a team of dedicated Des Moines area volunteers, seeking a world without cancer, came together to establish the 1st Annual Blood, Sweat & Beers 5K Run/Walk with the a goal to provide awareness and financial support for Iowa patients and families impacted by cancer.
We are honored to share that since the beginning we remain a 100% volunteer non-profit organization. ALL proceeds from event day and generous donations from area supporters go directly to support Iowa patients and families.
Our success is rooted within the countless hours of volunteer service from the committee and sponsors, who are all committed to making a tangible difference in the lives of Iowa families battling cancer. Our efforts would not be possible without the support of these amazing individuals. We are forever grateful and hopeful as we all look to a future without cancer!
Our volunteers serve in many roles from general administrative support, event day logistics, assistance in fundraising, and marketing efforts at every level. Please visit our Volunteer page for more information.
Our vision is a future without cancer, and to be Iowa’s foremost run event that raises funds, awareness, and support for Iowa cancer programs, patients, and their families. The needs have continued to grow and as a result, in 2020, we decided to expand the organization as we continue to oversee this vision through the Family Cancer Network.